Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jack Borden 101


Hello all,
Now that I have a little downtime to work on images, I thought that I would post a few recent favorites of mine. As you may know, one of my favorite things to shoot is portraits, especially editorial portraits for magazine use. The reason for this is because you can usually try new and different ideas, versus a standard portrait. Jack Borden was a perfect example of this. This man is 101 years old, but goes to work every day at his law firm. Pretty impressive. So, I made a portrait of him sitting at his desk in his suit, and around his office, but those are the same old shots you always get (and have to get).
However, before doing the shoot, the writer told me about how avid a fisherman he was, as I wanted to know if he had any special hobbies or interests. That of course sparked an idea for something different. I spoke with his assistant though, and getting him near any body of water was pretty doubtful, due to his limited maneuverability, and the fact that it was so hot outside (this was photographed when the temperature was around Mr. Borden's age).
I was pretty pumped about my idea though, plus I'm stubborn, so I could not be so easily discouraged. Since we couldn't move far, I found a great spot behind his office where you could avoid the parking lot and houses, and see nothing but trees. He stepped out on his walker, flicked the rod for a minute or so, and I had my shot. Fun and whimsical, just like Mr. Borden.

No comments: