Tuesday, September 22, 2009

THE MOODY BLUES

THE MOODY BLUES bassist John Lodge salutes the crowd during their concert at the Meyerson Symphony Center.

Excited fans wave to one another before the concert begins.

Justin Hayward and John Lodge play together during a concert at the Meyerson.

The lighting was truly spectacular throughout.

Justin Hayward points out to fans during the concert.

I had a great opportunity to shoot the great classic rock band THE MOODY BLUES, when they toured through Dallas recently. It is always fun to shoot music and event photography, especially when it is such a talented group, so when I was hired by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, whom I do a lot of event and concert photography for, to create images of the concert, I was rather excited. Of course, my excitement in no way matched that of the fans, some of whom had been following THE MOODY BLUES since the 60’s and 70’s. These loyal fans filled The Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, and many knew each other from websites and chat rooms dedicated to the band. They told me I was in for something special, and that it certainly was. Even after thirty years, John Lodge, Justin Hayward and Graeme Edge still were full of vibrancy and energy, and put on a terrific show. Lodge was especially active, waving and pointing to fans all across the hall, and slinging his bass guitar all over the place. With all of the energy the performers displayed, they needed to have an equally impressive lighting show. It certainly was impressive. They had all kinds of bold colors dancing across the stage, and throughout the audience. To give even more depth to the light, they were constantly adding fog to the scene, which always makes photographers happy. There is nothing quite so dramatic as light shining through fog, especially when it is a brilliant yellow, blue or purple. Please enjoy my concert photography, and I will talk to you soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Jason! You captured the mood of that fantastic show at the Meyerson. pamheld

Janet Colmenero said...

Incredible photos, Jason! Thanks so much for helping us to relive the memories of two spectacular nights with our favorite band and great friends. Got any more?

From one of the front row photographers . . . :0)

Anonymous said...

Just wonderful photos, Jason. Thank you for putting them out in 'ether world'. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Has the DSO posted any on their website? I think I'll take a look.
Bonnie (another 'fan' you captured with the glowsticks I handed out!)

Jason Kindig said...

Hey guys,
I just posted a new slideshow of the rest of my images, you can check them out, and click on the images to purchase prints and downloads. Thanks so much!