Monday, April 23, 2007

From Mad Hatters to Lobster Ladies






So, in fitting with the personality of my friend Deborah, her wedding was one of the more creative, and hands down the craziest that I have shot. The ceremony itself was innocent enough, though it was held at the Wizard Academy. Yes, your eyes do not deceive you, this is a facility where the best and brightest new age wizards are taught the tricks of the trade (the tuition is lower than Hogwarts), and they even have a chapel on the campus, which is where we were. However, before we talk about all this, I have a fun story to share on getting there. Normally when I shoot for clients I like to get there the day before to make sure everything is square, but with the general craziness, and the fact the ceremony was on a Friday evening, I left Dallas with Ayns the morning of. Traffic as always was interesting in Austin, and stayed predictably heavy for a majority of the trip. We decided to truck straight on through to Chapel Dulcinea instead of checking in at the hotel first. Well, Deborah gave me two sets of directions; one for the wedding and one for the reception, which were about 45 minutes apart. Needless to say I felt compelled to visit the reception first, and arrived there on time. Or at least I would have been on time if I was anywhere near where I was supposed to be. So I called the groom, Charlie, and told him my predicament. Charlie, though, was not concerned with my issue, as apparently he had left the rings at the reception area and was trying to fight traffic to pick them up (this call occurred after I was well away from there, just fyi). So I let him do his thing, and I raced to get there. Though Deb was slightly on edge, everything went smoothly, and it was a gorgeous place.
Now is the matter of the reception. They rented a house off Lake Travis, and invited family and friends over to relax. What made it unusual, as you might be able to tell, was that it was themed "Alice in Wonderland." I had a blast, and did portraits of all the guests, which was hilarious in and of itself. Everything from Mad Hatters to Lobster Ladies. After that, we just hung out and let the festivities occur. They even jumped into the lake in full dress, because they could. So definitely a wild weekend. My holga pics should be in soon, hopefully I can put those up today. In the meantime, enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did such a great job, thank you so much for taking great pics of my sweet sister on her special day....They are two of a kind, Rae and Charlie...
Thanks again, Angie Hawkins...

Deborah Rae Turner said...

Jason, you did a fabulous job! I am so glad you were able to be a part of the wedding weekend extravaganza!